Wednesday, January 6, 2010

John 9. Christ's Compassion for the Man Born Blind

Lesson 1
     How compassionate is our Lord. As he leaves the turmoil of the temple (John 8, esp. John 8:59), He sees a man blind from birth..."sees" him...and stops to heal him. His disciples are concerned with theological specilations, but Christ is concerned with the man--his condition and needs--and with meeting his needs and doing His Father's will. He gives the man a physical touch, such a simple thing, but so important, even in the context of giving (not returning) sight. Thank you, Lord, that I am important to you, that you are never too busy for me. You know my hurts and my needs and are always there, reaching out to me.
     Do I "see" those around me in need? Do I look to see what the Father would have me do? Or do I go on my way, concerned with my own situation, oblivious to the work I have been given? Oh, I can't meet all needs, but I can and should meet those the Father has prepared me to address in His name. Lord, make me more aware. Open my eyes that are often blind, and give me clear direction, and give me the discipline to act on your behalf. Steer me away from the "good" things I could do that are the enemies of the "best" that you have for me to do (Eph 2:10).

Lesson 2
     The man, as would a new Christian be, has little knowledge of who Jesus actually is. As the Pharisees keep questioning him, he tells what he does know, and as he does so is given more knowledge until he boldly stands up to their irrational fury. At that point, he is cast out of the temple, which would leave him ostracized and practically alone in that culture. Jesus learns of this, comes to find him, and reveals Himself to him as "the Son of Man." Christ will always be there for one who testifies; in the midst of any trials, He will provide comfort and encouragement and growth to the one who acknowledges him, and He will "openly acknowledge that person in the presence of God's angels" (Luke 12:8). Thank you, Lord, for your love for us and for your promise to never leave us alone. Thank you for your blessings in times of trial.
     The man born blind who was healed did not fear the Pharisees, though they had the power to make his life miserable from an earthly standpoint. He stood his ground and testified to what he knew. The result was more spiritual insight and a closer relationship with Christ. How often have I said nothing when I could have spoken up for my Lord? Father, let me fear failing You more than I fear men. Let me seek to please You rather than those of this world. Again, open my eyes to opportunities to testify of You, and then open my mouth to speak boldly the words Your Spirit will give me. I want to make a difference for You. I want to do Your work. I want my work to last (I Cor. 3:11-15).

No comments:

Post a Comment