Saturday, January 9, 2010

John 8:18-22

In Matthew 8:18-22, the man, as he was determining to follow Jesus, asked to go bury his father first. But Jesus told him to "Follow me, and let the dead bury their own dead." While this may seem strange and perhaps even cold to us, this is Jesus speaking, so the judgment and meaning must be righteous. Christ knows the heart, so perhaps the man was making excuses to delay following Christ. Whatever the reason, I do not question the Lord, but look to see what this says to me today.

Is my love for Christ above all other loves in my heart? Is He the Lord of my life? Do I seek to know Him and His will first? Do I put doing His will above pursuing my own?

Can I be honest in answering these questions? Do I really know the answers? It is difficult to look honestly at myself, to see the real me. Lord I say with the psalmist, "search me, O God, and know my heart; test me and know my thoughts" (Psalm 139:23). Then reveal me to myself, open my eyes and give me the desire and will to change what needs to be changed, that You might mold me into what you created me to be. I want You to be first in my life, but I am so weak in so many ways. Give me your strength. I thank You for Your unending love for me and will praise You on high all of my days.  Amen.

Hymn for today: Search Me, O God.

No comments:

Post a Comment