Thursday, January 28, 2010

John 12:23-26

In John 12:23-26 Christ speaks of His glorification, which one would normally associate with being honored, but then follows that with the example of the kernel of wheat which must die to produce much fruit and continues on to extend that to His followers. While the lessons here are endless, I have but one focus for myself today: dying to self.

Christ’s glorification could come only after He surrendered His personal, human will to that of His Father, completing the task for which He came to earth (John 12:27-28), that of sacrificing Himself for our sins. Only then could come the resurrection, bringing new life for us and setting the stage for His return to glory in Heaven at the right hand of the Father.

In proportion as I submit my personal, human will to the Father, I live my life in Christ (Galatians 2:20), taking on the likeness of His personality, emotions, and will. Only as I yield my will to the Father’s, dying to self, can He mold me into the likeness of Christ and use me to complete the tasks for which He created me.

Do I truly surrender myself to His will on a daily—hourly—minute-by-minute--basis? Am I resisting when He uses people (perhaps those I might not like) and circumstances (perhaps uncomfortable or even hurtful ones) to bring out the life of Christ that is hidden in me? Is my refusal to yield, to become the dying kernel of wheat, keeping my life from being fruitful for the Kingdom? I fear it is so, but it does not have to continue to be so. I have a choice.

Heavenly Father, forgive me for seeking my own will without regard for Your perfect will for me. Honor my desire to please You and to be wholly and completely Yours. Use my life as an instrument of Your love and grace to those you place in my path today. Help me to set self aside, to be ready and willing to take risks for You. I thank You for Your love which sustains me and for Your grace and mercy which free me. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment